Two detectives sent to South Africa to repatriate Patrick Agaba, a key suspect in the kidnap and killing of Susan Magara have returned empty handed.

The detectives who were supposed to bring him to Uganda included the Kampala Metropolitan Police Criminal Investigations Commander Olal and Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Mark Odong. The two were scheduled to travel to Uganda with the suspect last evening.

However, Lawyers of the suspect managed to secure a court injunction blocking the officers from bringing him back to Uganda shortly before they were due to board a plane, we have learnt.

The Kampala Metropolitan Criminal Investigations Commander, Johnson Olal and Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Mark Odong, had already been cleared by the government of South Africa to bring the suspect but were stopped following a court injunction maintaining the status quo until an application by Agaba contesting his repatriation was heard.

The two senior detectives arrived in the Country on Wednesday night on the same flight they had planned to bring Agaba on.

According to a source privy to the Magara death investigations, the detectives returned home as the matter is being resolved in South Africa.

“Am sure we will get him but our guys had to return as the technicalities are being sorted. Those are just technicalities,” the source who preferred anonymity said.

Agaba, who was arrested in South Africa on March 6, 2018 on the request of Interpol, is alleged to have taken out of the country the ransom money paid by the Magara family to the kidnappers to have the victim released.

When contacted about whether Agaba had been handed over, Police Spokesperson Emilian Kayima, said, “I cannot confirm that”.
Agaba, it is said was a close associate to two of Magara’s cousins, who were also arrested in Uganda.

The government, sources say, is working to have Pato extradited from South Africa over Magara’s death.

It is alleged that it is Pato who collected the Shs700 million that Magara’s family paid as ransom.

Investigators have also reportedly taken keen interest in Magara’s family and are investigating the possibility that a close family member could have been involved in the crime.

Since the murder over a month ago, police and the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence have been running investigations and more than eight suspects have been arrested.

Most of the suspects arrested, including relatives of the deceased, are implicated by telephone call records.

Susan Magara was kidnapped on February 7 on Kabaka Anjagala road as she was driving to her home in Lungujja. She was later killed after three weeks in her kidnappers’ custody and her body dumped on the Southern bypass between Kigo and Kajjansi.