As Sportsmail exclusively revealed last week, former England captain Rooney is set to leave the Toffees for DC United when the MLS transfer window opens in July.
A £12.5million deal has been agreed in principle, however, in response the Everton hierarchy are in the midst of crisis talks to convince the 32-year-old to stay at Goodison Park.
Sam Allardyce revealed an update on Wayne Rooney’s MLS switch is expected on Wednesday
Appearing on Sky Sports on Monday night, Allardyce was none the wise as to the current situation regarding Rooney’s potential move, but explained an update is expected in the coming days.
‘(There is) no update,’ the Everton manager said. ‘It’s not in my hands now. I have dealt with Wayne and it’s moved on with his representative and the board from herein. Which I believe may be Wednesday I think.’
Allardyce was appointed Everton manager in November last year after Ronald Koeman’s extremely brief spell in charge. The 63-year-old managed to salvage an eighth place Premier League finish despite taking charge with the Toffees languishing in 14th.
A £12.5million deal has been agreed in principle for Rooney to join DC United in July
Farhad Moshiri and the Everton hierarchy are attempting to convince Rooney to stay
Season at a glance
- Premier League
- Premier League
- League One
- League Two
- Scottish Premiership
- Scottish Div 1
- Scottish Div 2
- Scottish Div 3
- Ligue 1
- Serie A
- La Liga
However, despite the miraculous recovery made under Allardyce, his position remains up in the air with contract due to expire in 2019.
‘Who knows what’s going to happen next,’ he said speaking to Sky Sports presenter Jim White. ‘The season is finished, and I am going to have a meeting with Farhad this week and then I’m going on my holidays.’
While his no-nonsense approach to football and player management would have been central to his success at Goodison Park, Allardyce also praised Everton chairman Moshiri for giving him the financial support he needed to push on.
In the January transfer window, Moshiri authorised the purchases of high profile forwards in Theo Walcott and Cenk Tosun for a combined total of £45m.
The pair have had a hand in 15 Everton goals since their mid-season arrival but such investment was a brave move by Moshiri, who had previously allowed former manager Koeman to run riot in the transfer market.
Allardyce is due to meet with Moshiri this week to discuss his position at the club
The 63-year-old praised the Everton owner for providing funds to bring in new players
Moshiri provided the Dutchman with £135m to spend which he used to bring in the likes of Gylfi Sigurdsson (£45m), Davy Klaassen (£23.6m), Michael Keane (£25m) and Jordan Pickford (£35m) among four others.
With this in mind, many wouldn’t have blamed the Toffees owner had he decided to decline Allardyce’s request.
‘In the January window Farhad backed us up with two very important signings. One of them scored goals while the other made goals and it helped us get into the position we are in.’
Having salvaged what looked to be another painfully average season at Goodison Park, Allardyce seemed quietly confident his position heading into the summer is assured.
He continued: ‘It’s my job to get better results, get better players for Everton and play better. It’s that simple. And then those fans enjoy the football a little bit more.
‘I have done all what I can; the backroom staff have done all that they can and for me the players have done all they can.’
January signings Theo Walcott (left) and Cenk Tosun have helped Everton to finish eighth