Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has revealed that he had been in contact with Real Madrid prior to his switch to Old Trafford from Juventus. The France international sealed his Old Trafford return in the summer of 2016 after United paid a then-world-record fee of £89.3m.
Speaking on the ‘Beyond the Pitch’ podcast, the 24-year-old confirmed that he had considered a move to the Bernabeu, but the opportunity to make a comeback with Manchester United changed his eventual decision.
“To be honest, Real Madrid came to me and I was thinking to go there, and I was thinking to go to Manchester United too. But I always felt it in my heart. My heart told me to come back here [Manchester], I don’t know why, I didn’t know what was going to happen. But I did it, and I don’t regret. I never regret my choice,” he said h/t Sky Sports.
Pogba had a mixed first season under Jose Mourinho as he struggled to find the right balance between attack and defence. The Frenchman’s tendency to push forward often left a space in midfield which the opposition could capitalise on.
However, he has made a vast improvement in his second year, although suspension and a hamstring injury have restricted him to just 11 appearances for United across all competitions. The Frenchman has still stood out with his showing, contributing three goals and five assists in the English top-flight.
Pogba is certain to miss the Bournemouth game on Wednesday night as he serves the second game of a three-match suspension, which he received for a rash but yet unintentional challenge on Arsenal’s Hector Bellerin earlier in the month.