Uganda has signed a joint agreement with Tanzania as president Museveni finalized his state visit to the republic of Tanzania
1. At the invitation of His Excellency Dr. John Pombe Joseph Magufuli, President of the UnitedRepublic of Tanzania, His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of the Republic ofUganda paid a two-day State Visit to the United Republic of Tanzania from 25th to 26th February,2017. His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni was accompanied by Ministers andother Senior Officials of the Government of the Republic of Uganda.
2. The two Heads of State held Official Talks in a cordial and friendly atmosphere, during whichthey had a fruitful exchange of views on a wide range of bilateral, regional and internationalissues. Their Excellencies also witnessed the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding onDiplomatic and Political Consultation between the United Republic of Tanzania and theRepublic of Uganda.
3. On cooperation in the Energy Sector, the two Heads of State noted with appreciation theinitiative taken by the two Governments to start implementation of the Kikagati-Murongo PowerGeneration Project on the Kagera River. The completion of this project is expected to easepower problems along the border communities of both sides of the shared river.
4. On cooperation in the Trade Sector, the two Heads of State noted the need to boost bilateraltrade and directed the responsible Ministries to continue taking measures to further promotetrade between the two countries as one core priority of the bilateral relations. In this regard, HisExcellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni visited two factories under the Bakhresa Group ofCompanies, and commended the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania’s efforts increating a conducive environment for industries to flourish.
5. On the Hoima-Tanga Crude Oil Pipeline, the two Heads of State agreed on the need toimmediately start the implementation of the project. His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveniwelcomed the concessions offered by the United Republic of Tanzania to ensure the success of1
the project which he said will greatly improve the economies of the two countries. The twoHeads of State agreed to launch this project in the near future.
6. On the Economic Partnership Agreement between the East African Community and theEuropean Union, the two Heads of State agreed on the need for the East African CommunityPartner States to move together as a bloc. To this effect, His Excellency Yoweri KagutaMuseveni welcomed the offer by His Excellency Dr. John Pombe Joseph Magufuli to send adelegation of experts to the Republic of Uganda in March for further discussions with theirUgandan counterparts.
7. The two Heads of State directed their responsible Ministers to revive and convene the meetingof the Joint Permanent Commission in March, 2017 in order to discuss all the areas ofcooperation between the two countries.
8. With regard to the ongoing Burundi Dialogue, their Excellencies took note of the progress madeso far and called upon all parties to take part in all-inclusive dialogue. His Excellency PresidentDr. John Pombe Joseph Magufuli expressed his satisfaction and applauded the efforts beingmade by the Mediator His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni and the Facilitator H.E.Benjamin William Mkapa, Former President of the United Republic of Tanzania to resolve thecrisis in Burundi.
9. At the conclusion of the State visit, the two Heads of State reiterated their shared desire andthe commitment of both Governments to maintain and further strengthen the existing bonds offriendship and mutually beneficial cooperation between the two brotherly countries. HisExcellency President Dr. John Pombe Joseph Magufuli expressed his profound gratitude andappreciation to His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni for honoring his invitationand for the fruitful discussions they held. His Excellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, onhis part, expressed profound gratitude and appreciation to His Excellency President Dr. JohnPombe Joseph Magufuli, the Government and People of the United Republic of Tanzania forthe warm reception and hospitality accorded to him and his delegation during the visit. HisExcellency President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni extended an invitation to His ExcellencyPresident Dr. John Pombe Joseph Magufuli to pay a State Visit to the Republic of Uganda at adate that will be agreed upon through diplomatic channels.
Done at Dar es Salaam, on 26th February, 2017