Several soldiers of AMISOM are feared to have been killed on Sunday after heavily armed Al-Shabaab militants stormed AU military base manned by Ugandan soldiers in Bulamarer town.
The attack in Bullamarer town which located 125km south of Somalia was confirmed by official and witnesses.
The assault was started with two car bombs which breached the defense at the Forward Operating Front Base (FOB) in Bulamarer town of Lower Shabelle region followed by heavy fighting.
The army says the battled ensued after the suspected al-Shabab terrorists attempted to attack AMISOM Forward Operating Bases at Quoroyole, Buulo Mareer and Golwen in Lower Shabelle Region of Somalia.
Captain Deo Akiiki, the deputy army spokesperson has confirmed the Sunday morning attack and said eight of the vehicles belonging to the terrorists were destroyed.
He said two Vehicle Born Improvised Explosives were also destroyed.
He further noted that four AK Rifless , two Rocket Propelled Guns, two Recoilless Guns, a Walkie Talkie and 18 Sub Machine Gun Rifles were recovered.
Mopping up operation continues.
Ugandan army spokesman Brigadier Richard Karemire wrote on Twitter that 30 Shabaab militants had been killed, while the Islamists claimed in a statement to have killed 59 Ugandan soldiers.
“At least 59 soldiers of Ugandan were killed in a well-executed attack by the mujahideen fighters, full information of the attack will be raised later,” said the militants in a statement posted on Pro-Alshaabab media.
The Al-Qaeda linked Shabaab was pushed out of the Somali capital in 2011 — and subsequently other towns and cities — by soldiers from the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM).
But the Islamists still hold sway in large parts of the countryside and launch regular gun and bomb attacks on government, military and civilian targets in Mogadishu and ambushes on military convoys and outposts.
East African leaders contributing to the 22,000-strong AMISOM force last month called for the United Nations to reconsider plans to withdraw troops by December 2020, saying the timeline was unrealistic and could lead to a reversal of gains.
Witnesses who spoke to the media said the militants entered the town after forcing their way through the checkpoints of the town.
The deputy governor of Lower Shabelle region, Ali Nur Mohamed who confirmed the attack said the militants were defeated by AMISOM troops.
Mohamed also confirmed casualties on both sides but said the exact figure was not immediately available.
AMISOM has not yet commented on the attack on its soldiers.
The attack would be the third assault on Uganda’s military bases in Lower Shabelle region since the East African nation sent its troop to Somalia in 2007