Moderna on Wednesday shared more results from its early-stage coronavirus vaccine trial looking at how its vaccine works in older adults.
The shot was found to be safe and it created an immune response in trial participants who were older than 55.
Moderna is in the middle of running a 30,000 person trial that will determine whether the vaccine can prevent infection or disease.
We just got our best look yet at how Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine might work in older adults.
The shot was found to be safe and it created an immune response in participants older than 55, according to data that Moderna presented on Wednesday. It hasn’t yet been published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
The data is important because elderly Americans are more at risk from the novel coronavirus. Some vaccines don’t work as well in older people.
The data builds on earlier results from the company that found that the vaccine created encouraging immune responses in healthy, younger volunteers. To be sure, more data is needed to determine whether the vaccine prevents coronavirus infections.
The interim data from the trial was presented Wednesday to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
Moderna is currently running a late-stage trial, testing 30,000 people to see whether its vaccine can prevent infection or disease. Moderna CEO Stephane Bancel told Business Insider that in a best-case scenario, we might know if the vaccine works by October.
- India is leading the world in new COVID-19 cases with more than 3 million total infections.
- New Zealand is spending hundreds of millions of dollars to secure a COVID-19 vaccine, but an expert warns citizens must be ‘patient’.
- Audience members at Pence’s Republican convention speech weren’t tested for Covid-19 even though they mingled with the vice president and Trump.
- Pence praises Trump and paints a rosy picture of the crisis-stricken country at the Republican convention.
- The White House discussed changing CDC guidelines about testing asymptomatic people while Fauci was under anesthesia.