Why President Museveni Appointed His Son Presidential Advisor?
By Kiyimba Bruno
Major General David Muhoozi has been promoted to the rank of a full General and appointed the chief of defense force by the commander in chief of the Armed forces and president of Uganda General Yoweri Kaguta Museveni.
General Muhoozi’s appointment pushes the former CDF General Ktumba Wamala to be appointed as the minister of state for works in the government of the republic of Uganda.
His appointment has left many Ugandans confused whether it is the son of the president of Uganda Major General Muhoozi Kainerugaba who was appointed for this post of leading the army.
The fact stands that Major General Muhoozi Kainerugaba has been given a serious demotion to become the presidential advisor for the special operations.
Below is a brief biography of General David Muhoozi;
Background and education
David Muhoozi was born in Mbarara District in 1965. Muhoozi holds the degree of Bachelor of Laws (LLB), obtained from Makerere University, Uganda’s largest and oldest public university. He also obtained the Diploma in Legal Practice, from the Law Development Center, in Kampala, Uganda. His degree of Master of Arts in International Affairs was obtained from an institution yet to be revealed.
He attended the Uganda Military Academy, back when it was still located in Jinja, for his Officer Cadet course. He then attended the Company Commander course at Monduli, Tanzania in 1998. He followed that with the Senior Command and Staff College course in Ghana. Following that, he was admitted to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.
Over the years, he has also attended the following military courses:
- A Professional Security Course in Israel
- An Executive Course for Senior African Military Leaders in Beijing, China
- An Internal Crisis Management Course in Ghana
- An International Peace Support Operations (IPSO) Course at Kofi Annan International Peace Keeping Training Centre in Ghana
- A Defense Management Course in Ghana
- A Senior International Defense Course at the Naval Postgraduate School, California, United States of America, California, USA.
He joined the army in 1985 and was commissioned on April 21, 1989. He then served as Defense Counsel for the General Court Martial. In 1997, he was assigned to the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence (CMI), as Staff Officer General Duties, serving in that role for the next four years.
Over the years, he has served in these positions within the UPDF:
- Base Commander, Entebbe Air Force Base
- Brigade Commander, Motorized Infantry Brigade – Nakasongola
- Chief Of Staff, Uganda Air Force
- Commander of Air Defense Division – Nakasongola Air Force Base
- Commander of the Armored Brigade – Masaka