The police spokesperson AIGP Asan Kasingye has said the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence (CMI) was responsible for the re-arrest of the Kaweesi murder suspects who had been granted bail by Nakawa magistrate’s court.

This follows concerns raised over the manner in which the suspects were rearrested shortly after they had been granted bail by the Nakawa Magistrate’s Court.

Addressing journalists at the police headquarters this morning, police spokesperson Asan Kasingye however maintained that no police officers was involved in the rearrest saying it was done by the Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence.

He says they were only handed over to police after the re-arrest on suspicion of being involved in ADF activities.

There was a public uproar over the ugly scenes at Spear Motors junction on Tuesday as men in non-uniform brandishing pistols and re-arrested Ahmed Ssenfuka, who was part of the seven suspects who had been released on bail by court.

“The suspects were re-arrested by CMI on suspicion of being involved in Allied Democratic Forces activities. Investigations are continuing,”Kasingye said.

He added,” UPDF then handed the suspects to police and are currently detained at Nalufenya detention centre.”

Four suspects who had been released on bail including Umaru Maganda,Ahmed Ssenfuka,Ibrahim Kisa and Abdul Majid Ojegere were re-arrested.

The statements by the police spokesperson however don’t seem to correlate with those made by the army in regards to the incident as the later said it was a joint operation between various security organs. It remains unclear whether the police force was not part of the various ‘security organs’ that carried out the operation as claimed by the army spokesperson.

Police had since the incident distanced themselves from the re-arrest, with the various spokespersons claiming they were not aware of any arrests carried out before vowing to investigate those behind the acts. The incident and its aftermath remain to be seen as another frontline from where the police and the army have locked horns in the recent past.

Both forces first clashed at the home of Christine Mbabazi Muhooza, a lady who claims to have been a girlfriend to slain police spokesperson AIGP Andrew Felix Kaweesi in Lungujja, a Kampala suburb. The clash climaxed with the arrest of senior police officers by CMI and arraigned before the General Court Martial over charges related to the kidnap of Lt.Joel Mutabazi, a former bodyguard to Rwandan president Paul Kagame.