Kasese Leaders successfully petition the I.C.C Over Kasese Clashes
MP’s from Kasese reveal that they have successfully petitioned the I.C.C over the recent clashes in the region.
At a press conference, held today Wednesday, Kasese district legislators say the International Criminal Court (ICC) has indicated willingness to look into their December 23rd, 2016 petition over last year’s Kasese clashes that that left over 60 people dead and several others arrested.
The International Criminal Court will now consider a petition by Kasese district leaders in regard to the November 2016 clashes between government forces and supporters of the Rwenzururu kingdom in which more than 100 people were killed.
Members of Parliament from Kasese district and groups of human rights activists had vowed to sue President Museveni at the ICC over Kasese clashes. These included the leader of opposition Hon. Winnie Kiiza who doubles as the district woman MP, the Kasese municipality MP Hon. Centenary Robert, Bukonzo East MP Hon. Muhindo Harold, Busongora North MP Hon. William Nzoghu, Bukonzo West MP Hon. Katusabe Atkins and the Busongora South MP Hon. Jackson Mbaju.
Addressing journalists in Kampala, the Kasese Woman MP who is also the leader of opposition in Parliament Winnie Kizza says on December 23rd, 2016 they petitioned the ICC over the Kasese killings and they have received the letter indicating the receipt of their petition.
She says the ICC has indicated willingness to look into the petition and this will be done in accordance with the provisions of the Rome statute.
If The Hague based Court reaches a decision on the matter, the petitioners will be informed in writing.
Kizza notes that they petitioned three people over committing crimes against humanity including President Yoweri Museveni and Ministers Asuman Mugenyi and Peter Ecweru to give individual accountability for the lives lost in Kasese.
She says they are optimistic that the ICC will respond positively on this issue for justice to prevail.
However, Uganda’s government spokesperson, OfwonoOpondo says that the Government has not received the courts response officially neither was the petition before ICC, nor Petition copied to the Government.