Pep Guardiola admits those who believe Manchester City won the Premier League because they spent a lot of money are ‘right’ as he revealed that the champions’ recent summer transfer sprees are over for now.
The Spaniard said on Tuesday that he is targeting no more than two signings ahead of next season as he looks to build on this year’s record-breaking Double.
Manchester City secured a record 100 points as they won the Premier League title this year
Since Pep Guardiola’s arrival, the club have spent £450million on new players such as Ederson
The Spaniard also spent big money on the likes of Kyle Walker as he shaped his City squad
His star-studded side romped to the title this season, picking up a record 100 points as they finished 19 points in front of nearest rivals Manchester United.
They also won the Carabao Cup and on Tuesday Guardiola outlined his summer spending plans, claiming he wants only a replacement for the departing Yaya Toure and perhaps another forward.
‘When people say, “they won because they invested a lot,” they are right. We invested a lot of money, we are gong to invest less in the future because instead of doing it in two or three transfer markets, we did it in one. But we needed to because of the (squad’s average) age we had before,’ he told Sky Sports.
‘Yaya is leaving so we have to replace him and maybe another one. One or two, no more, maybe people don’t believe me but we don’t have the money to invest £300m every season.’
‘When people say, “they won because they invested a lot,” they are right,’ Guardiola claimed
City’s stars paraded their Premier League and Carabao Cup trophies on Monday night
He added: ‘(The other) maybe in front but I don’t know exactly. I have to think more, speak to (director of football) Txiki (Begiristain) and the staff about it more because there are four competitions and it’s tougher. We need new faces to compete with the guys from this season.’
As reported by Sportsmail last week, City are looking to seal a £110m double swoop for Napoli midfielder Jorginho and Riyad Mahrez, while they have also been linked with Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha.
One player heading the other direction on a permanent basis this summer could be Joe Hart.
The goalkeeper spent this season on loan at West Ham having fallen out of favour at the Etihad since Guardiola took over. He was one a number of older players, who had all played a key role in City’s recent success, who were let go by the Spaniard.
Guardiola claimed ditching Joe Hart was the toughest call he has made since moving to City
Pablo Zabaleta, Bacary Sagna and Aleksandar Kolarov have also left in recent years but Guardiola claimed ditching Hart was the toughest call he has made since moving to England.
‘Of course it’s always difficult because they are human beings who were together for 10 years, we had a good relationship but we had to do it,’ he said.
‘People ask me what was the toughest decision since I came here, it was Joe Hart because I know how professional he is, how good a goalkeeper he is and how important he is for the club and what he has done.
‘We are where we are, I am where I am, because of people like Joe. The same with Pablo, Bacary.. but you have to do it because we believed it was for the best’