Government through Ministry of Foreign Affairs has come out to deny media reports which recently suggested that Ambassador Nimisha Madhvani had been withdrawn from UAE.
The reports further said her woes stem from accusations by Ugandan legislators that the wealthy Arabic nation was involved in ‘selling’ of Ugandan girls.
The MP raised claims after visiting the Middle East Country at the invitation of Amb. Madhvani.
The country responded by protesting her diplomatic work.
As a result the acting Permanent Secretary, Amb. Isaac Sebulime wrote to the ambassador that she had been withdrawn.
On Tuesday, Foreign Affairs issued a statement correcting what termed as ‘limited understanding of the contents of a leaked letter addressed to Amb. Madhvani.’
Margaret A. Kafeero, the acting head of Public Diplomacy at the ministry told this website that most of the media reports are based on a limited understanding of the contents of a leaked letter addressed to Amb. Madhvani by acting Permanent Secretary, Amb. Isaac Sebulime.
“Amb. Madhvani was recalled for consultations and not withdrawn from the UAE as a duty station. Recalls for consultations are frequent and routine within the Foreign Service as they give the Ministry and our Ambassadors or Foreign Service Officers ample time to carry out in-depth discussions, review obtaining situations and receive instructions on the bilateral relations of both countries which written correspondence often cannot do,” she said.
Adding that, whereas several media houses that have covered this story have insinuated that Amb. Madhvani made disparaging remarks in the press about the UAE, there is no evidence so far to that effect and indeed, many comments made by other individuals are being wrongly attributed to her in various media articles.
“Uganda values her relations with the UAE. These relations remain strong and will keep growing.”